Sunday, July 25, 2010

Seville6 – yet 2 more museums!

Final day in Seville.  Squeezing 2 more museums in.  Archeological museum and museum of modern culture.  Both were a fun quick visit.  But first we stopped by the Plaze de Espana, which was built for the 1929 Iberian Trade.  It’s a huge semi-circle building with a semi-circular moat in the middle where gondola-like boat rides were once available.  Now the moat is dry, but with multi-million euro renovations slated to finish in the fall, the moat will soon be full again. 

The archeological museum was our first visit.  We enjoyed seeing the puzzles that the archeologists put back together, filling in with epoxy (the darker yellow) whenever pieces were missing…DSC00674

Here’s a similar tablet, in this case the darker grey showing where they were missing pieces.  Reminded me of the 15 commandments in Mel Brook’s History of the World.  DSC00673

As I’m sure you can imagine, the younger kids were getting rambunxious so I incorporated them into my shots of relics whenever I could…

Despite the look on Zeke’s face above, he really was enjoying this museum.  He demanded taking several shots of the Greek gods and explained to me that Hermes and Mercury are really the same God, one the Greek name and the other the Roman. 

The next museum had more modern collections, including a display throughout the years of the famous white pigeons of the local park.  They had pictures of multiple generations getting photos taken with the pigeons.  This was a photo of an older gentleman holding a much younger photo of himself and his sister posing with the pigeons at the square…DSC00710 Obviously one of his fond memories.

Afterwards we decided to make some more pigeon memories ourselves, having already chased through them on the way in.

We called it a day and headed back to the hotel to watch Bob de Sponge.  (NOTE: the kids correct me here.  They are no longer watching Sponge Bob but have moved onto Phineas and Ferb).

Tomorrow morning we leave the hot temps of Seville with a train ride to the relatively cool Mediterranean coast.  High today according to the thermometer outside our hotel 44 celsius at 4:45 pm.  Google tells me that’s 111.2 fahrenheit!!!

Temperature update.  I wanted to see what it was like to run in that kind of heat, so I went out later.  The temperature was registering as 46!!! I’m sure it wasn’t 46 everywhere in the city, but on that stretch of sidewalk with the sun beating down all day and no breeze to sweep the heat away, the heat stored in the stone and sidewalk and road was adding to the heat of the sun sort of like a convection oven.  And I was the turkey about to go for a run.  The run out was actually great, I ran through 2 shaded parks and stayed in the shade of buildings nearly the whole time, then I noticed my left calf cramping up as it has the last few days and had to stop and stretch.  The cramp kept getting worse and soon I was nearly hobbling down the sidewalk.  That was the end of my run as I walked the rest of the way home.  I noticed my thighs were noticeably hot to the touch.  I guess that’s what it’s like to run in that kind of heat.  Especially if I’m not conditioned for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment